Monday, August 15, 2011

Bedtime Realities

So, after my last post about Michael's night time prayers, it got me thinking about our bedtime routines. Then, last night, I had an epiphany-- here I am complaining about Michael's bedtime routine and how long it takes, and I haven't even looked at mine. When I step back and evaluate my evening, I kinda had to laugh.

When Michael's in bed and Jonathon and I are headed to bed, I go and change into my PJ's (a welcome relief from my maternity clothes). With Michael, it's sometimes tough to keep him from running off mid-change. For me, it is kinda tough to keep me from tipping over mid-change. It's the whole, 'how do I lift my leg to put on my pants with this fat tummy in the way' issue I'm sure many of you can relate to. Sometimes I'm happy I don't have to watch myself as I do getting-dressed-yoga.

Next I brush my teeth, not too interesting, except that I still gag every time I brush. This only happens when I'm pregnant.

After scriptures and prayers I turn off the light and hop into bed with Jonathon. Well hop makes it sound spunky and graceful. Nope. It's more like plop, slide, shuffle, grunt, and collide with my bed. But eventually I am in bed.

You would think that it is over at this point, but it takes me probably 10 minutes to get comfortable and situated with all of the 15-some-odd pillows that I sleep with. On the other side of the bed something completely different, but definitely related is happening.It takes Jonathon just about as long to pile on and get comfortable with all the 15-some-odd blankets he likes to sleep with in our Air-Conditioned-for-a-Pregnant-Lady house. Fine with me, so long as the blankets don't come anywhere near me and my 15 pillows, or I may just burn up.

Then the inevitable happens and just as I finally settle into a semi comfortable position, I realize that I have to go to the bathroom. BLEH! I have to reset everything for just a two second trickle in the toilet.

Hmmm... not so different from the wiggles of a two-year-old getting settled into his bed, and the always present excuse of 'one last drink' or 'I have to go to the bathroom' to reset the whole routine. Wow. And to think that there was a time I would just go to bed. Oh, for simpler days.

5 comments:

Mrs. Boojwa said...

Ugh. I'm not even pregnant, and I get really hot when I sleep. I can't imagine how much worse it will be when I do get preggers. And I do not look forward to having a bladder the size of a pea.

Margie B said...

Chuckle, chuckle! You describe it OH SO WELL! It brings back LOTS of memories! Love you!

Margie B said...

P.S. Love the new look of the blog. It really fits your new Florida life!

Mary Ann, Jonathon, and Michael Climer said...

Thanks. I was excited for a change. Can you believe that the beaches actually look like that here. Actual picture. We LOVE it! Can't wait for you to come!

Tubbs Family said...

Thought I'd check in and see how you were! I love the contrast of the bed time routine. I hope all is well!